Getting started with encryption software is easy. Please note that ALL encryption software, whether you buy the program or not, they all do the same thing.
Some of the programs suggested here are free and offer a secure method to send and receive information that may be considered sensitive or private.
Listed below are programs that can accomplish the task of securing data while transferring sensitive personal information.
1. 7 Zip This program is free and if you are using Windows 7 or above, it is already in your computer. It is also a free download to most other versions. Be aware it will not work if your system is very old.To access this program, just go to your START button and clickALL PROGRAMS. 7 Zip is on the list. A tutorial is also included. It is an excellent utility and worth trying.
2. AxCrypt. PC MAGAZINE wrote an article about encryption and the following is a brief synopsis of that article: It was written in the December 2016 edition and is available on line should you wish to review all comments.
The reason I chose this article is because the highest rated program is one that I am very familiar with. The free version is fine for most users. The premium version. “AxCrypt Premium” has a “sleek modern look”.
Files kept in its Secured Folders get encrypted automatically when you sign out, and it’s one of the few that support public key cryptography. Public key cryptography is considered a higher level of security. This system uses pairs of keys for encryption and decryption as opposed to one level.
3. CertainSafe Digital Safety Deposit Box goes through a multistage security procedure that authenticates you to the site and authenticates the site to you. Your files are encrypted, split into chunks, and tokenized. Tokenized separates lines of text into sections and each section gets stored on a different server. A hacker who breached one server would get nothing useful. Fees apply.
4. Folder Lock can either encrypt files or simply lock them so nobody can access them. It also offers encrypted lockers for secure storage. Among its many other features are file shredding, free space, secure online backup, and self-decrypting files. There is a free version available. Worth trying. Fees apply.
How to Use Encryption Software
The following procedure for downloading your choice is basically the same for all programs listed.
The AXCRYPT program is used here for illustration purposes. The procedure to download and install each program listed is similar. The difference will be the site accessed for download. Always be certain that you have accessed the correct site. Refer to the address bar and look at the site. If you prefer, type the name into your favorite browser and access the official site in that manner.
Open your browser and place your mouse pointer in any area on the address bar and left click once.
The address bar should turn blue.
- Just type AXCRYPT.NET and press enter.
- Once you are on the site, please become familiar with all areas of the site itself before you download any software. You will note that one heading says pricing. When you click on that heading you will notice the free version.
Please read all information carefully and if you are unsure of how to proceed, do nothing.
Other Tools on the Market
The encryption programs listed here are only a small number of the available tools on the market.
Symantic SYMANTIC.COM has an excellent tool associated with NORTON UTILITIES. Fees apply. Free trial. This is an excellent software to encrypt sensitive information.
For further reference, copy and paste the following link into your browser for a view of many different encryption programs. This link is to PCMAGAZINE
BY SUGGESTING THAT YOU TRY ANY SOFTWARE, I ACCEPT NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES YOU MAY INCUR.
PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT THERE IS NO WAY TO RECOVER AN ENCRYPTED FILE SHOULD YOU FORGET THE PASSWORD.
I ALSO SUGGEST THAT YOU PREPARE TEST FILES WHEN FIRST USING ANY UNTILITY AND DO NOT ENCRYPT ANY DATA WITHOUT HAVING A COMPLETE BACKUP PRIOR TO ENCRYPTION. UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, DO NOT ENCRYPT YOUR ENTIRE HARD DRIVE.
DO NOT USE THIS ANY ENCRYPTION UTILITY UNTIL YOU ARE
COMFORTABLE WITH ITS USE OPERATION AND YOU ARE CERTAIN THAT IT DOES FIT YOUR NEEDS PRIOR TO USING THE SOFTWARE FOR GENERAL USE.
This Article was generously provided by Ed Berkowitz.
Leave a Reply